Monday, July 30, 2012

I love summer

Over the weekend we drove to Cal State San Marcos where Jake was competing in a circuit bicycle race.  I noticed on Google maps that the cycling start/finish happened to be right above the track, so I came prepared to attempt a new workout with baby, hoping that Abigail would play in the long jump pit sand with toys while I ran repeats.  I told her that she was going to cheer for mama first and then dada.  I warmed up with the stroller in lane 8 for ~10 minutes.  Abigail was thrilled to see a tractor on the grass adjacent to the track (helpful), and she was also excited to take off her shoes and run into what seemed like a huge sand box.  I opted for my usual in-and-out 200s and asked Abigail to tell me when to run fast.  She can't help but yell "doh!" whenever a start time is requested, whether it be the blender, vacuum, or a running start.  Repeats 1-5 went pretty well.  I had to stop after the fourth 200m run to play in the sand for 30 seconds and distract her.  She whined/cried mama during repeats 6 & 7 (despite telling me when to go each time), so I picked her up, cleaned off her hands, gave her some dried apples and decided I could only do 8 today.  Not so bad.  After a 15 min baby-jogging cool down we settled in to watch the bicycle race.  I wish I had taken a picture of her on the track, but I left the camera in the car.
Hydrating 
Serious spectator, with strawberry face
Go da da go = doh da da doh 
She was too busy waving at her shadow to look at the camera
We came home for nap time and then headed over to a potluck in the evening.  It was a really fun Sunday.


This morning Abigail and I were babysitting one of her best little buddies while her mother went to the dentist.  She was gone for less than an hour, during which time the two munchkins mostly chased each other from outside to inside, from one bed to another (to jump, of course), all the while wearing socks on their hands as makeshift puppets and matching clothes (since Abigail was not yet dressed when her friend arrived and wanted to wear the same color shirt).

  When the clean-toothed mom arrived back at my house her daughter proposed a beach outing, which Abigail quickly seconded, resulting in two toddlers and a basket of sand toys rolling down to the beach in our radio flyer wagon.  We spent a good hour and a half getting wet, climbing rocks, shedding clothes, applying sunscreen, and generally enjoying the amazing La Jolla beach weather.  

This summer has been incredible, and I can't  properly express how much I love Abigail's beach play time.  We meet friends there, walk down to waste an hour, stroll by in the evening just to walk off dinner.   I love living at the beach.





2 comments:

  1. I am impressed you tried to do a track work out. I haven't run on a track since 2002. Wow.

    ReplyDelete