Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The big T-H-R-E-E

About 6 months ago Abigail began to attend birthday parties for little toddler friends turning three, at which point she began the loooong period of time during which she was "almost three".  Congratulations, big girl, it finally happened.  Here's how it went down...

We held a party for twenty toddlers and accompanying adults, as well as family from all over southern California.  Here's Abigail with four of her cousins, two were still stuck in traffic on the way down from LA when this picture was taken.
What little princess doesn't have Flotsam and Jetsam dolls?
Showing her age in fingers...my little love
Some of my play group friends, seeing as play group really is as much for me as for Abigail .  Love these gals.
My nephew Miles has the most infectious happy face
 At toddler parties I envision the jumpy as an indicator of party success, much like the dance floor at a wedding.  By that measure this was a rockin' good time.
The line to get in
Non-stop bouncing fun
 But the main event, truly, was the appearance of "the real Ariel".  Here's the moment of truth when they were introduced for the first time.
Speechless

 Ariel painted faces, read a book, sang princess songs, signed autographs, and took pictures with the kids.  The looks of admiration and joy were so sincere and adorable that it made me want to sign up for the singing princess gig.  All the kids, not just the girls, were smitten.  They were SO cute.
Abigail has been pretending to gently paint faces with a cotton ball and the bottom of a baby bottle since Saturday
Who knows a princess song?
In between his two stroller naps and one nursing session Elijah got to hang out with Ariel for a few seconds
Love
In one of her new princess gowns
Surprisingly, the other very popular attraction of the party was the cake.  I didn't think toddlers would be all that interested in cake (except of course the prospect of eating it), but there was continuously a little stream of cake visitors who needed to be watched to ensure that no one took a handful.
Since I made the cake myself, Abigail was pretty attached to it, and very excited.  She saw the layers, and the pre-fondant creation.  She helped me make the chocolate seashells (and by help I mean that she ate as much melted white chocolate as she could find).  She picked out the figurine for the top of the cake.  I strongly believe that Abigail is obsessed with cake because of Jake's love affair with cake.  He is giddy at the thought of a tub of sugary frosting, or any doughy, just baked creation.  He's passed it on to her and she could not WAIT to taste her cake.
  But first we have to sing....
Flounder fondant in the mouth
The benefit of a day such as this one is that my daughter had a birthday to remember (even though she probably won't remember it since she's only three).  The drawback is that I barely saw her.  I was up early getting ready, setting up, taking care of the baby in spurts, greeting people, refilling fruit and drinks, making it all happen.  By the time it was all said and done it was time to try and feed my over-tired girly some dinner and handle the I-don't-want-to-go-to-bed-I-want-to-play-with-my-toys meltdown that was bound to occur after an exciting day in the sun and no nap.  I sort of wish her party was not on her actual birthday, so I could have a few more cuddles and a little less stress.  But every year is different and year three was definitely the biggest party yet.  

Flashback to last year's party....they grow so fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment