Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thankful for Christmas


Thanksgiving is Jake's "favorite day of the year", though I think he might say that about a lot of days, considering how much he loves life.  There's food, football, family, and every excuse to sit around eating all day long.  While I absolutely love any reason to get together with my family, and of course stuffing--I love stuffing--for me, Thanksgiving is the first day of the Christmas season.  Break out the holiday music, plan your tree trimming, and start baking cookies.  It's CHRISTMAS TIME!!!  

My parents with their youngest grandchild on Thanksgiving
Abigail and her cousin, Vincent
Little cuties
The weekend after Thanksgiving we busily worked on our holiday cheer.  First we visited the Christmas tree lot across the street from our house.  The selection left something to be desired, but we got to smell the pine and pick out the biggest one they had to take home on Monday for my annual Christmas tree day with my pops.
Tree angel
Next to our tree
Sweater made by Royanna Robertson (Erin Post's mom)
Eight and a half years ago I moved to San Diego.  My one bedroom apartment had lofted ceilings, which meant that the tree size I could load onto my MINI Cooper was not going to suffice.  I called up my dad and asked if he'd be willing to come down with his truck and help me out.  Since he's always happy to spend time with one of his children, a tradition was born.  We pick out the tree, haul it home, and put the lights on.  Then we usually grab dinner together and chat, knowing that the hard work is finished.  Afterward more fun ensues as we decorate the tree with beads and ornaments, garlands and memories.  I'm to the point where I don't need to buy anything for the tree.  Over the years I've accumulated the correct tarp and brown extension chords.  I have ornaments from various trips and milestones and I really enjoy getting them all out and remembering each year.  I actually limit myself to purchasing two ornaments a year, since I already have plenty to decorate a ten footer.  One of the added benefits of tree day with my dad, aside from the fact that we are Christmas decorating gurus, is that setting aside one day a year together brought us closer.  I think it led to a dinner or breakfast here and there throughout the year, and some private conversation, which is difficult to achieve at Thanksgiving dinner for 21.

Anxiously awaiting the main event
Grandpa and Abigail taking a break

A pro in the thick of things
Our 8th tree!

With a Christmas tree and the cutest baby in the world under one roof, how can I resist the occasional photo shoot?
Looking cool by her first tree

She loves giraffes, so I'm glad there is one in the picture.

Tummy time = no problem


Sometimes I can't believe how cute she is
Posing with the Christmas frog


3 comments:

  1. I almost dies looking at these. So Cute. Love the pink ribbon and the frog pictures are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the BEST Christmas tree! You should teach a class. Seriously, I think people would pay you. :)
    She is so cute. I love love love the pictures of her with the tree

    ReplyDelete