Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 4

Aw, holidays, how do I love thee.  With Jake home from work this Monday is particularly pleasing, despite the fact that I'm sick.  It's lovely to be able to play on the computer during the day with baby girl happily sitting with her papa.  

Today is our fourth day without a pacifier, which leads me to the theme of this blog.  As a mother I find it more necessary than ever to listen, observe, and follow good advice, whether it be from others or from myself.  That is just what I did this past Friday when I decided it was time to get rid of the pacifier for good.  Abigail only uses it when she's sleepy, which by all accounts is only contributing to her need for me in the nighttime by increasing her dependence on sucking to soothe herself back to sleep upon waking.  I listened to a mom friend of mine who told me that she encouraged pacifier use with her oldest, who kept it until.the age of two, but let it fall by the way side with her second, who got a head cold and didn't want it for a week or so, leaving her pacifier free within the first year.  This case study in mind, I observed Jake putting her to sleep on the weekends without a pacifier and justified my continued pacifier use by the fact that she doesn't suck on his arm angrily while falling asleep, so he doesn't need it.  As it was, I had to slip the pacifier in when she was either routing around my shirt or crying from tiredness.  She would protest for a moment and then drift happily to sleep, sucking away.  But if I tried to give her the pacifier before she opened her mouth for another purpose, she would protest mightily with sealed lips, knowing that pacifier means nap time or bed time.  So armed with my own logical nature I decided that I was the one standing in the way of getting rid of this pacifier when I probably should (right now).  It's just that once she has the little plastic friend in her mouth she goes to sleep so peacefully.  So I was faced with one of the many scenarios where it might be easier for me right now to do things one way, but far harder down the road if I choose the slightly easier path right now.  I know I will face this again and again (and I struggle with this concept in relation to sleep habits and my influence on them for my child).  Last night Abigail whined and cried on and off in my arms (and Jake's), waking up at least a dozen times within an hour because she didn't have anything to suck on while she fell asleep...but fall asleep she did, with loving parents to shush and rock, so today I will gather those pacifiers, boil them one last time, and store them away, feeling that I'm really doing the right thing.  

Now on to the pictures, which tell a story all their own!

P.S.  This has no bearing on my opinion of when is the right time to stop pacifier use.  My child actually doesn't want it right now, so it seems like the right time, if I can only let go of my own convenience.  Other kids may want or need one longer....that's for them and their parents to decide.  I believe strongly that there's no one correct way, and I certainly don't have the answers.  I really, however, wish that there was one correct way  and someone would write a book about it for me to read.  Thank you.

Biting her tongue seems to be a teething sign for our little one
Loves her toes these days and can get those feet in her mouth
Talking like crazy!
I caught a glimpse of her teeth while she chatted away.
Big, big girl

Enjoys reading with her dad, and always knows where her mom is.
Watching Jake at a bicycling race
Hanging out on Superbowl Sunday
I'm always multitasking!



The beginning of the Valentine's day photo shoot



Before she face-planted into the sand, which she actually didn't mind.
Broccoli
When Daddy does the photo shoot
Jake is teaching her to study at a young age
I'm not sure she likes it

One of her favorite books
Talking away

The photo back-drop started falling, but she didn't mind
My sweet angel


Loves the camera
More tooth action

Loves to get a hand full of hair
Using her pinching fingers, though she hasn't actually put one in her mouth yet
Amidst the mayhem
Fun baby


4 comments:

  1. She looks so studious! LOL What a cutie!

    "I Love You Through and Through" is one of my favorites too. Unfortunately, Jeremy likes "big boy" books now, so Emma will have to start listening to that one as a favor to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Love the 'studying' shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the V-day pics! And I also remember how difficult it was to take away the pacifier. She (and we) didn't sleep for days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos are awesome!! I especially loved the ones with Jake. They both just look so happy it makes me smile.
    I know what you mean about the pacifier. I think you made the right call for you and your baby.

    ReplyDelete